Fractal Explorer was a Java application created for the first of two coursework assignments for the Advanced programming module during my first year at Southampton University. The task was to create an interactive application that could be used to view and explore fractals such as the Mandelbrot Set.
The objectives for the coursework were as follows:
- Construct a Java application with a Graphical User Interfaces (GUI) in Swing.
- Design a large program using appropriate object-oriented techniques including event handling.
- Define and use classes and objects in Java. Awarded full marks, the implementation had features including:
- Multi-threading to decrease rendering times
- Displayed various types of fractals including the Burning Ship and Tricorn
- Capable of displaying images at various resolutions
- Fractals could be saved in a variety of image formats
- Orbit traps
- Interactive zooming
- Real-time preview of the Julia Set